As the second episode of my “Hylytes” series, I wanted the theme to be about ‘Giving’ in line with the philosophy of being a Gifted Entrepreneur.
There’s a great book called “The Go-Giver” published in 2007 by Bob Burg and John David Mann.
I will share my ‘Hylytes’, or notes from the book, along with a brief description below.
MY NOTES FROM “THE GO-GIVER”…
THE GO-GIVER BY BOB BURG AND JOHN DAVID MANN
Here’s a description of the book from Amazon.com:
This modern-day business parable, a quick read in the spirit of The Greatest Salesman in the World and The One Minute Manager, should do well with eager corporate-ladder climbers, who may at first be confused by its focus: on putting the other guy first-be it a colleague, competitor, customer, friend or family member. Told through the fictitious story of an ambitious young salesman named Joe, Burg and Mann communicate their points through the advice of an enigmatic (and highly likeable) mentor character known as Pindar. Rather than help Joe snag a fast sale, the consultant introduces him to series of “go-givers” who personify the “Five Laws of Stratospheric Success.”
HYLYTES OF THE GO-GIVER
The main lesson of the book is what the author’s call ‘The Five Laws of Stratospheric Success’. If you’re a Gifted Entrepreneur, you should print these laws out and post them on your wall. Here’s a summary of the Five Laws:
- THE FIVE LAWS OF STRATOSPHERIC SUCCESS
- THE LAW OF VALUE – Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.
- THE LAW OF COMPENSATION – Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.
- THE LAW OF INFLUENCE – Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people’s interests first.
- THE LAW OF AUTHENTICITY – The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.
- THE LAW OF RECEPTIVITY – The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving.
Here are some more of my favourite HYLYTES from the book:
- THE GOLDEN RULE OF BUSINESS – People will do business with and refer business to those people they know, like and trust.
- All the great fortunes in the world have been created by men and women who had a greater passion for what they were GIVING – their product, service, or idea – than for what they were GETTING.
- The first question should be ‘Does it Serve? Does it add value to others?’
- Your compensation is directly proportional to how many lives you touch.
- What makes people attractive = GIVING. They love to give. GIVERS ATTRACT. Giving MAGNETIZES you.
- No matter what your training, no matter what your skills, no matter what area you’re in, YOU are your most important commodity. The most valuable gift you have to offer is YOU.
- Every GIVING can only happen because it is also RECEIVING.
I highly recommend this book. It is a quick read, and the lessons are very in sync with creating a Gift it Forward methodology and business model.
Here’s the link again to order on Amazon – The Go Giver.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
If you enjoyed this article, we would love your Facebook comments and questions at the bottom of this page!
Please also subscribe (directly below) to receive articles like this directly to your inbox. By subscribing, we’ll send you details on how to receive a FREE HARDCOVER COPY of Giovanni’s upcoming book, The Gifted Entrepreneur.